16 June 2015

The Other Side of the Classroom

It has been approximately three months after my teaching internship stint. I've written this reflection on paper a couple of weeks ago and I finally managed to find time to type it out.

The Process

When did I know that I wanted to apply for this TIP: May

What made me wish to experience being on the other side of the classroom: I attribute this self-discovery to Yen Theme, Jonathan, Evan, Hyun Jun, Bi Juan and many others. Helping my friends regularly and whenever I could for whatever subject I was able to help in made me feel that Teaching was my calling. I really love Chemistry and I felt that nothing beats studying and teaching a subject that I like. (I hope this doesn't change!) I aspired to be like Ms Yee, Mdm Lee and other lectures who help students who struggled with Chemistry. My experience in advocates inspired me to be a teacher who is a pro-active change agent for the society.

How did I apply: I requested for 'notify me' emails. SA also notified when the application portal/link is open. It started in August when I looked into the page to look at the requirements. I was horrified when we need our prelim grades, olevel grade and a personal statement on why I wanted to go for this Internship programme. I studied really hard for my prelims and I thought my mediocre grades wouldn't get me anywhere near this programme. I requested to teach Chemistry/Physics even though my Physics obtained a C grade while my math obtained a B grade. Nonetheless, I literally jumped for joy when they offered me Chemistry/Physics at Secondary interview and my interview was on the 25th of November, a day after Alevels.

Fast forward, it was the day of my interview. It was a round table interview with 6 other interviewees, a principal and a MOE officer. We were grouped according to subjects. It was basically my first official after leaving SA. Though it was an interview, it was an interesting discussion. Some of the questions posed were as such:

  1. The reasons for participating in this internship stint
  2. What are some difficulties do you think you will face during the internship?
  3. How will you convince your cooperating teacher to approve your classroom activity?
  4. What do you feel about the use of social media in today's world? (Context: as a teacher)
  5. Do you think teachers should exert violence (mild) on students? 
The interview was an hour long though it didn't feel like an hour long!

A month later, I was notified that I was posted to CHIJ Toa Payoh and 2015 came. I went down to Toa Payoh before my 3 days of training. 

The Training
Day 1- How to introduce myself, interview skills, attire and behavior. Basically- administrative matters.

Day 2 &3- The training was held at NUS School of Engineering. There, I learnt the attributes of a teacher, how a teacher should behave in front of his/her students and the basic values of teaching and the mission of MOE's education. It helped me understand the curriculum better as to the reason why it is structured the way it is. I also caught a glimpse where different difficult situations arise and how we should handle them so that the students will not be at the losing end. It sound easy, yet in reality, NO. I also learnt the values of assessments, homework and testing. There are different types of questions to test different thinking levels and the depth at which students understand the topic. Writing lesson plans was an important part and the importance of having a goal at the end of the lesson- Learning Objectives, Specific Instructional Objectives (The ones on our syllabus outcome). A teacher must learn to evoke response, to get a student to reflect on their actions using different languages or peer pressure which I could draw similarity to the different methods my teachers employed in school. It sounded easy. Really.  



The Internship
There are many valuable lessons and insights into the education system that I gained during the 2 months spent in IJTP. It has affirmed my aspirations for teaching. Initially, I felt a tad weird during the first 2 weeks as it really hit me that I'm not a student anymore. Gone were those days I sat in front of the classroom and take notes diligently. I had to adjust to having students thank or greet me and I felt extremely weird whenever a student shout 'Ms Ang' across the corridor.

The first 4 weeks were spent observing my supervisors/Co-operating Teachers for Chemistry and Physics- how they conducted their lessons and how they question students in general. I observed how they give instructions to the class and their body language. The teaching methods used by my teachers vary and I was glad to be exposed and really notice 2 different types of teaching. My Chem CT usually starts with slides, followed by worksheets to be done in class while my Physics CT focused more on questions in the textbook, workbook and worksheets, only highlighting the content that is essential to take note of.

Both CTs have their own peculiar ways when it comes enforcing expectations and rules. My Physics CT will make students stay back to complete their homework. My Chemistry CT conducts file checks while they're having CTs so that they will fill up whatever blanks they have on their papers, ensuring that they studied for them. Students are to stand up whenever their work is not completed. These are a few of the many methods used. I picked up some as I go for relief classes.

I went for a number of relief classes across a variety of subjects- English, Chinese, POA, Mathematics, Malay, Geography and Social Studies- unbeknownst to myself where I became a a teacher that teach every subject available when students asked me to help them in their given assignments. Some classes would negotiate with me to release them for early recess or to submit their lessons the next day. i.e. to take back as homework and to play in class. Initially, I would. I was in their shoes! Then I realised that it wasn't the right way to go. I started setting expectations.

  • 1 person is allowed to go to the toilet each time
  • I employed the 正 method. A stroke will be on the bored if their noise level is beyond acceptable. Should the Chinese character be completed, I will not hesitate to hold them back for another 5 minutes. 
  • Peer pressure. I told the class to finish the given work by a certain time and if one do not submit, the entire class stays. 
Conducting lessons was not as easy as what I thought. People would say 'memorise the answer, read it' or 'read from the slides'. I must say, this is definitely not the right way to go. I was a boring teacher. 

For chemistry, I was not engaging at all. I was not able to scaffold simple concepts without content overload. I learnt that Chemical Bonding wasn't as easy as what I thought. In fact, I loved that topic! Yet, I realised many found it hard to visualise 'tetrahedral' until I showed the model of the molecule. The difference between intermolecular and intramolecular was not easy to explain using words either. It took me some time to become more comfortable. Besides, I can't drone on about the bonding and those electrons to obtain some auspicious number 8 that we always teach. Hands on work is essential and allowing students to come to realise a certain property will be easier. Another method was showing videos on structures instead of textbook pictures as it is easier to visualise that way. Teaching at a secondary level was rather tricky as I cannot give too much information while I'm expected to ensure that the subject is not boring. Preventing misconceptions from the start is really one of the most important factor. Recaps are a must before lessons start proper. Towards the end, I went straight to using models and analogies to explain concepts. What slides? Classroom Activities are a must too!

Phyiscs wise was surprisingly easier as there are many phenomenon when it comes to explaining concepts of force and moments. Class practice is important in a way as I used to struggle with physics and had my own secret stash of shortcuts when it comes to applying concepts. I did not teach a specific topic per se. As physics is my second teaching subject, I teach part of different topics, mark worksheets, CAs and go through them in class. The marking was not as easy as what I thought. Some times, I wondered what I taught in class as there were many creative answers, new lab instruments and new theories made in their answers. I was like them years back. Looking for careless mistakes meant staring at those workings as some added denominators and I wasn't sure how to bring them up in the next lesson. I had to identify systematic common misconceptions made on paper and I have to clarify them before the CAs. 

Classroom management was fine as the classes I've been to have obedient students who listen to the rules listed. It was really hard for me to scold due to incomplete work as I wasn't the main teacher. Well, should I be given the chance again, I'll definitely scold and set my own expectations at the start of the year and follow through. 

CCA wise was an eyeopening experience. I was never in a sports CCA. Yet, I was assigned to be a teacher-in-charge of netball. I had no idea what the requirements for sports CCA were and the responsibilities a teacher has to undertake. Netball was their niche CCA and so the girls had a lot of training sessions. It was really tiring for them as one told me that she couldn't find time to study for her CA. I felt helpless as all I could do was to advise her on time management. I observed how the other teachers motivated the girls and looked after their welfare. Missing their lessons so they can follow the girls out on competitions and ensuring their safety are one of the many things teachers have to do. I didn't notice my teachers effort till then. They do not just take their attendance!!! I was so proud when their hard work paid off as they managed to clinch the South Zone Champion title and move on to the national championships. 

All in all, I was glad when my students thanked me and said that I've inspired them to study harder. (Phew, I thought I was useless.) Given another chance, I'll start on the right foot and find the right method to teach as quickly as possible. Different classes have different learning styles. Lesson plans cannot be used throughout the cohort but to be tailored accordingly. I am truly humbled to be given this opportunity.




No comments: